COVID19 : resident and business update

We will continue to keep residents and businesses updated about our community response hub, waste collections, and much more via our website and social media.

More information

Reitlinger Open Space

Announcement

Children's playgrounds and play equipment owned by the Royal Borough are closed with immediate effect until further notice to help reduce the spread of COVID19. Our parks and open spaces remain open but please adhere to the social distancing guidelines. 

(Monday 23 March 2020)

Overview

Size: 1,905 sq m/ 0.1 hectares. 
A walk around the perimeter of this park will contribute 400 steps to the advised 10,000 daily steps recommended to improve fitness.

BBQs are not permitted in any of the parks and open spaces.

Location and access details

Accessed off Guards Club Road, Maidenhead

Facilities

None

History

This open space is named after Henry Reitlinger who was a leading collector of fine art. His tastes were described as "wide and varied", ranging from Durer prints to Meissen china. He kept his purchases at his home at 43 Princes Gardens, London. On his death in 1950, the collection was vested in a trust, the "Henry Reitlinger Bequest". The trustees were his adopted daughter, Mrs. M. Cocke, and a Maidenhead solicitor.

Shortly before Reitlinger's death, the collection had been on loan to the Berne Kunstmuseum for a year. Remembering how the objects had sparkled in the reflected light from the river there, Mrs Cocke decided that the Thames-side house, "Oldfield" would make the ideal gallery. Unfortunately, the anticipated interest by connoiseurs did not materialise, with only 1000 visitors p.a. on the two days a week the museum was open. The trustees found that despite rate relief by the council, the income from investments did not meet the costs of running the museum. Matters came to a head when there was a burglary. The museum also housed a small "local history room" in which objects from the former Maidenhead Museum and from the collection of Maidenhead Archaeological & Historical Society were on display. In return, members of MAHS stewarded the museum on summer Sundays.

The material shown in the local history room is now in the Royal Borough Museum Collection or Maidenhead Heritage Centre web site collection.