2. Applying for a Secondary, Middle or Upper school
The Royal Borough of Windsor & Maidenhead is now delivering its school admissions service through Achieving for Children, a community interest company set up in partnership with the Royal Borough of Kingston and the London Borough of Richmond.
September 2019 Entry
Please ensure you read the Admission into Secondary School September 2019 guide before completing your application.
Secondary School Admissions covers those pupils starting at either:
- Middle school at the beginning of Year 5
- Secondary school at the beginning of Year 7
- Upper school at the beginning of Year 9
Applicable Birth Date Range for September 2019 entry:
- Year 5 entry – 01/09/2009 to 31/08/2010 (Middle School)
- Year 7 entry – 01/09/2007 to 31/08/2008 (Secondary School)
- Year 9 entry – 01/09/2005 to 31/08/2006 (Upper School)
Full details of the admissions process are published in the online guide - Admission to Secondary School 2019. Please take the time to read this guide before applying.
Key Dates for Academic Year 2019/2020
- Opening date – Monday 3 September 2018
- Closing date – Wednesday 31 October 2018 (Midday)
- Extended deadline for exceptional circumstances – Wednesday 21 November 2018
- National Offer Day – Friday 1 March 2019
- Respond to a school place offer – Friday 15 March 2019
- Waiting list positions for all applicants and late applicant decision letters – From April 2019
Applications for a school place must be made through your home authority - this is the council where you live and to which you pay council tax. Residents can apply for non-Royal Borough schools through using this application process.
Please read the Guide to using the ONE Admissions Portal should you experience any difficulty making your application before contacting school admissions for support. The wording on the live portal may be different to the wording on the guide due to the recent upgrade but the process remains the same.
Applications should be made online and can be amended up until applications close at midday on 31 October 2018. You can access the online system on National Offer day to view the outcome of your application.
If you are unable to make an online application, please contact school admissions - [email protected] for further support.
Applications submitted after the closing date will be considered during the second round of allocations and decision letters will be sent from April 2019.
Applying to Grammar Schools
All schools in the Royal Borough are comprehensive and meet the needs of all ability ranges. This means they do not require entrance exams as a form of entry. Grammar schools are available in neighbouring authorities. If you wish your child to apply for a grammar school then you must:
- Register to sit the entrance exam with the relevant local authority under which your preferred Grammar schools sits. Your child must sit an entrance exam to be considered for these schools.
- Make an application via your home authority between 04 September 2018 and 31 October 2018 naming your preferred schools.
We recommend that you discuss the option of applying for a grammar school with your child’s current head teacher first, and also contact any grammar schools you are interested in to ensure that you have all the necessary information.
Buckinghamshire County Council has provided the following information for parents and carers who wish to consider one of their schools.
The deadline for parents to register their child was 3pm on 28 June 2018.
Buckinghamshire’s test dates are as follows:
Practice Test – 11 September 2018
Transfer Test – 13 September 2018
For further information please refer to Buckinghamshire’s website.
Please contact all other authorities directly for information.
Details about how places have been allocated over previous years have been published below:
Allocation Information 2015/2016
- Secondary School Allocation Information - Year 7 Entry - September 2015
- Middle School Allocation Information - Year 5 Entry - September 2015
- Upper School Allocation Information - Year 9 Entry - September 2015
Allocation Information 2014/2015
- Secondary School Allocation Information - Year 7 Entry - September 2014
- Middle School Allocation Information - Year 5 Entry - September 2014
- Upper School and Holyport College Allocation Information - Year 9 Entry - September 2014