2. Applying for a Secondary, Middle or Upper school (September 2020 entry)
The Royal Borough of Windsor & Maidenhead is now delivering its school admissions service through Achieving for Children, a community interest company set up in partnership with the Royal Borough of Kingston and the London Borough of Richmond.
September 2020 Entry
The online facility for on time applications is now closed and is not available for late applications. If you submitted an on time application you may still view your application using the link below. You can also access the online system on national offer day (Monday 02 March 2020) to view the outcome of your application.
Applications for a school place must be made through your home authority - this is the council where you live and to which you pay council tax. Residents can also apply for non-Royal Borough schools through using this application process.
If you are an RBWM resident and need to make a late application please contact school admissions to request a form - [email protected]
Applications submitted after the closing date (Thursday 31 October 2019) will be considered during the second round of allocations and decision letters will be sent in April 2020.
Full details of the admissions process are published in the Admission into Secondary School September 2020 guide. Please take the time to read this guide before applying.
Secondary School Admissions covers those pupils starting at either:
- Middle school at the beginning of Year 5 - Born between 01/09/2010 to 31/08/2011
- Secondary school at the beginning of Year 7 - Born between 01/09/2008 to 31/08/2009
- Upper school at the beginning of Year 9 - Born between 01/09/2006 to 31/08/2007
Key Dates for Academic Year 2020/2021
- Opening date - Monday 9 September 2019
- Closing date - Thursday 31 October 2019
- Extended deadline for exceptional circumstances – Thursday 14 November 2019
- National Offer Day - Monday 2 March 2020
- Respond to a school place offer – Monday 16 March 2020
- Waiting list positions for all applicants and late applicant decision letters - From April 2020
Applying to Grammar Schools
All schools in the borough are comprehensive and meet the needs of all ability ranges. This means they do not require entrance exams as a form of entry. Grammar schools are available in neighbouring authorities. If you wish for your child to apply for a grammar school then you must:
- Register to sit the entrance exam with the relevant local authority under which your preferred grammar schools sit. Your child must sit an entrance exam to be considered for these schools.
- Make an application via your home authority between 9 September 2019 and 31 October 2019 naming your preferred schools.
We recommend that you discuss the option of applying for a grammar school with your child's current head teacher first, and also contact any grammar schools you are interested in to ensure you have all the necessary information.
If you have any questions about the grammar school process, please contact the local authority where your preferred grammar school is located.
Details about how places have been allocated over the previous three years have been published below: