2. Applying for a Secondary, Middle or Upper school
The Royal Borough of Windsor & Maidenhead is now delivering its school admissions service through Achieving for Children, a community interest company set up in partnership with the Royal Borough of Kingston and the London Borough of Richmond.
Secondary School Admissions covers those pupils starting at either:
- Middle school at the beginning of Year 5
- Secondary school at the beginning of Year 7
- Upper school at the beginning of Year 9
Applicable Birth Date Range for September 2018 entry:
- Year 5 entry - 01/09/2008 to 31/08/2009 (Middle School)
- Year 7 entry - 01/09/2006 to 31/08/2007 (Secondary School)
- Year 9 entry - 01/09/2004 to 31/08/2005 (Upper School)
Key Dates for Academic Year 2018/19
- Opening date – Monday 4 September 2017
- Closing date – Tuesday 31 October 2017
- Extended deadline for exceptional circumstances – Tuesday 21 November 2017
- National Offer Day – Thursday 1 March 2018
- Deadline to respond to a school place offer – Friday 16 March 2018
- Waiting list positions for all applicants and late applicant decision letters – after Tuesday 3 April 2018
Applications for a school place must be made through your home authority - this is the council where you live and to which you pay council tax. Residents can apply for non-Royal Borough schools through using this application process.
Full details of the admissions process are published in the Admission into Secondary School September 2018 Guide. Please take the time to read this guide before applying.
The online facility for on time applications is now closed and is not available for late applications but you may still view your submitted application using the link below. You can also access the online system on National Offer Day to view the outcome of your application.
Late applications, i.e. those submitted after the closing date (Tuesday 31 October 2017) will be considered during the second round of allocations and decision letters will be sent from Tuesday 3 April 2018.
If you would like to make a late application please contact school admissions to request a form – [email protected]
Applying to Grammar Schools
All schools in the Royal Borough are comprehensive and meet the needs of all ability ranges. This means they do not require entrance exams as a form of entry. Grammar schools are available in neighbouring authorities. If you wish your child to apply for a grammar school then you must:
- Register to sit the entrance exam with the the relevant local authority under which your preferred Grammar schools sits. Your child must sit an entrance exam to be considered for these schools.
- Make an application via your home authority between 04 September 2017 and 31 October 2017 naming your preferred schools.
We recommend that you discuss the option of applying for a grammar school with your child's current head teacher first, and also contact any grammar schools you are interested in to ensure that you have all the necessary information.
Buckinghamshire County Council has provided the following information for parents and carers who wish to consider one of their schools.
Registration for testing for a Buckinghamshire Grammar School for entry in September 2018 has now passed.
The deadline for parents to register their child was 3pm on 30 June 2017.
Buckinghamshire’s test dates are as follows:
Preparation Test – 12 September 2017
Transfer Test – 14 September 2017
For further information please refer to Buckinghamshire’s website,.
For other authorities, you should contact them directly.
Allocatin Information for Previous Years
Please see the information below for details on how places have been allocated over previous years.
Allocation Information 2017/2018
Allocation Information 2016/2017
Allocation Information 2015/2016
- Secondary School Allocation Information - Year 7 Entry - September 2015.
- Middle School Allocation Information - Year 5 Entry - September 2015.
- Upper School Allocation Information - Year 9 Entry - September 2015.
Allocation Information 2014/2015
- Secondary School Allocation Information - Year 7 Entry - September 2014.
- Middle School Allocation Information - Year 5 Entry - September 2014.
- Upper School and Holyport College Allocation Information - Year 9 Entry - September 2014.
Allocation Information 2013/2014
- Secondary School Allocation Information - September 2013.
- Middle & Upper School Allocation Information - September 2013.