COVID19 : resident and business update

We will continue to keep residents and businesses updated about our community response hub, waste collections, and much more via our website and social media.

More information

8. Admissions for Children from overseas

The Royal Borough of Windsor & Maidenhead is now delivering its school admissions service through Achieving for Children, a community interest company set up in partnership with the Royal Borough of Kingston and the London Borough of Richmond.

The Admissions Team is now operating a call back service only. Priority will be given to calls where the information is not available on the website or in the relevant guides.

Applications for overseas pupils are considered in accordance with guidance received from the Department for Education (DfE) and in consultation with the Home Office.

All parents who reside in the UK, other than for a short period of time, have a legal duty to ensure their child receives education.

Parents in any doubt about whether their child’s immigration status precludes access to state-funded education, must seek independent legal advice on their individual circumstances.  In most cases, children arriving from overseas have the right to attend state-funded schools in England.  However, the following children are not entitled to a state education:

  • Children from non-European Economic Area (EEA) countries who are here as short-term visitors; these are children who live abroad but have been admitted to the UK for a short visit (e.g. as tourists or to visit relatives), and not to study;
  • Children from non-EEA countries who have permission to study in the UK; these children are allowed to study in England on the basis that they attend an independent, fee-paying school;
  • Unaccompanied children of statutory school age, without a right of residence in the UK are not normally allowed to take up a place at a state school.

Children from the European Economic Area have the same rights as British citizens. Children of statutory school age coming from abroad accompanying their parents who have a right of residence in, or permission to enter, the UK also have the same rights as UK residents.