3. Court of Protection Deputyship - in brief
CoP Deputyship is the wider management of all a service user's property and financial affairs. This authority is given, on application, by the Court of Protection under the Mental Health Act 2007 and the Mental Capacity Act 2005. The Team act as 'The Authorised Officer for Property and Affairs Deputy' on behalf of the Royal Borough of Windsor and Maidenhead local authority.
For deputyship, the service user:
- Will be mentally incapable of dealing with property and financial affairs, being medically certified to that effect
- Has not made an Enduring Power of Attorney (EPA) / Lasting Power of Attorney (LPA), or the EPA/LPA is deemed to be acting not in the best interests of the SU
- Has assets or income other than DWP benefits which need to be administered
- Has no friends or relatives available or willing to take on the role