Caravan site licence and register
Under the Caravan Site and Control of Development Act 1960 and the Mobile Home Act 2013, caravan and mobile home sites are required to have a licence. This is granted by the Local Authority.
To successfully be granted a licence the caravan or mobile home site must have:
- Planning permission for the use of the site. We are unable to consider an application unless planning permission is in place for the site.
- Meet certain safety standards for example spacing of caravans, fire precautions, drainage, washing facilities, maintenance and safety of roads, footpaths and car parking.
- Set out site rules for its residents and visitors.
You are not required a licence for:
- Incidental use within the curtilage of a home (e.g. a caravan kept on a domestic driveway for private use by the owners).
- Single caravans on land for not more than two consecutive nights of any 28 days in a 12 month period.
- Sites occupied by exempted organisations (e.g. the Caravan Club).
- Sites for temporary or special purposes such as agriculture, forestry workers, engineering and building sites.
- Up to three caravans on a site not less than five acres (maximum of 28 days in 12 months).
- Travelling showmen.
- Sites occupied by local authority such as gypsy and traveller sites.
The council maintains a register of all currently licensed sites within the borough.
If you require further information, please complete the form using the link below.