1. Your benefit award explained
It is very important that you read your benefit letters carefully as they tell you;
- when your benefit starts (and if applicable when it ends),
- how much your benefit entitlement is and,
- how your benefit has been worked out.
We have calculated your entitlement to Housing Benefit and Council Tax Support based upon the information you have given us about your:
- household circumstances and
- rental liability.
Housing Benefit and Council Tax Support are 'means tested'. This means that we have to compare the money that you get each week, your 'Income', with an amount that we assess that you and your family needs to live on each week. This is called the "Applicable Amount". This figure is made up of "Personal Allowances" and "Premiums" that are set by the Government each year. We have to work out how your applicable amount compares to the amount of Income you have coming in each week. The difference between the two is called 'Excess Income'.