COVID19 : resident and business update

We will continue to keep residents and businesses updated about our community response hub, waste collections, and much more via our website and social media.

More information

Petroleum Storage Certificates

We are the Petroleum Enforcement Authority (PEA) for petrol storage and sale within our area.  There is a duty to notify us if you are intending to store between 30 to 275 litres.  You may apply for a licence from us authorising the keeping of petrol in excess of 275 litres in domestic premises or non-domestic premises that are not a workplace.

For storing and dispensing petrol (such as at a petrol filling station) a Petroleum Storage Certificate will be required.  We will issue a Petroleum Storage Certificate (PSC) when satisfied that the containment system for petrol at the dispensing premises, including storage tanks, pipework and dispensers, may reasonably be used to store petrol and would not create an unacceptable risk to the health or safety of any person.

We have the responsibility for enforcement of:

  • The Petroleum (Consolidation) Regulations 2014
  • Health and Safety at Work etc. Act 1974
  • Petroleum (Regulation) Acts 1928 and 1936
  • Dangerous Substances and Explosive Atmospheres Regulations 2002 (DSEAR)
  • Public Health Act 1961, section 73

The above legislation lays down the legal requirements for licensees and those storing and dispensing under a storage certificate.  It also specifies requirements for making safe former petrol storage tanks. 

We inspect and advise petrol filling stations, marinas and airports.  We also monitor premises storing petroleum in our borough at small quantities where they do not sell it, but store it for their own use, such as for motor mowers or motor boats.  We also conduct petroleum searches, normally instigated by developers, to search and provide information on any historic petrol tanks.

Before a PSC will be issued, we would expect to see a DSEAR risk assessment and an electrical safety certificate.  An application must be accompanied by the following plans/drawings:

  • a drawing of the layout of the dispensing premises;
  • a drawing of the containment system for petrol at the dispensing premises, including storage tanks and pipework;
  • a drawing of the drainage system for petrol at the dispensing premises.

A storage certificate remains valid for so long as there is no prescribed material change; and the dispensing premises do not cease to be used for the keeping of petrol for a continuous period exceeding 12 months.

Prescribed material changes include:

  • The cessation of use of one or more of the petrol storage tanks.
  • The removal or permanent decommissioning of one or more of the petrol storage tanks.
  • The installation of any tank, pipework or vapour pipework associated with the storage and dispensing of petrol.
  • The installation of any petrol pump, any other automotive pump, or dispenser in a new location.

A prescribed material change must be notified to the petroleum enforcement authority at least 28 days before the commencement of any works to effect the change.

A minimum of 28 days notice must also be given by a person with a PSC before ceasing to occupy the dispensing premises.

Any application for planning permission or for consent under the Building Regulations should be subject of separate applications.

Licence fee to keep petroleum spirit of a specified quantity:

  • Not exceeding 2,500 litres - £44 per annum.
  • Exceeding 2,500 litres but not exceeding 50,000 litres - £60 per annum.
  • Exceeding 50,000 litres - £125 per annum.

You will be invoiced prior to the issue of the licence.

Make an application