Adoption in Berkshire
The Royal Borough of Windsor & Maidenhead has joined with our unitary partners to form a combined adoption service called Adopt Berkshire, which replaces our previous adoption service.
By joining forces in this way we are able to offer better training and a better matching and placement process, staffed by dedicated professionals. This change helps us to focus on the needs of our children that require placement, as well as the needs of our adopters.
Adopt Berkshire's goal is to maximise the amount of adopters available to cover the whole range of children who are in need of permanent adoptive families.
Adopt Berkshire covers all aspects of adoption work up to the point of the child's legal adoption. After this, responsibility for support services then returns to the relevant local authority.
Adopt Berkshire is here to:
- provide high quality adoption services for children.
- find children suitable potential adopters.
- assess relatives (sometimes referred to as step-parent adoption), friends and foster carers who would like to be considered as a potential adopter for a certain child.
- support waiting adopters in the placement of a child.
- support adopters after the placement of a child/children and work to maximise the long-term success of the placement.