3. What information will I be asked for?
The registrar will ask for the following details:
- the date and place of birth; if the birth is one of twins or triplets,the time of each child's birth will also be needed,
- the sex of the child,
- the forename(s) and surname in which it is intended that the child will be brought up.
Father (if his details are to be entered in the register)
- his forename(s) and surname (and any other / previous names),
- his date and place of birth,
- his occupation at the time of the child's birth or, if not employed at that time, the last occupation.
- her forename(s) and surname (and any other / previous names),
- her maiden surname if she is, or has been, married,
- her date and place of birth,
- her occupation at the time of the child's birth or, if not employed at that time, her last occupation,
- her usual address at the date of the birth,
- the date of marriage, if married to the child's father at the time of the birth,
- the number of previous children.
It is very important that all the information recorded in the birth register is completely correct as mistakes can take quite a bit of time. This is why the person registering the birth should check the information very carefully before signing the register.