COVID19 : resident and business update

We will continue to keep residents and businesses updated about our community response hub, waste collections, and much more via our website and social media.

More information

7. How do I obtain a certificate for an historic stillbirth entry?

Due to the sensitive nature of stillbirth registrations, the procedure for ordering copy certificates differs from other types of certificates. Apart from very recent events, the General Register Office holds records of all stillbirths registered in England and Wales since 1st July 1927. Certified copies of these records can only be obtained with the Registrar General's consent. The following conditions apply:-

  • a certificate will only be issued to the mother or father of a stillborn child
  • siblings may apply if their mother and father are no longer alive. They should send details of their parents' dates of death with their application
  • stillbirth certificates can only be obtained from the General Register Office in Southport.

If you want more information telephone, write to or log on to the General Register Office website.

General Register Office
PO Box 2
Merseyside PR8 2JD

Tel: +44 (0)300 123 1837