1. The Prince Philip Trust Fund
The Prince Philip Trust Fund for the Royal Borough of Windsor and Maidenhead was founded in 1977 from an initiative by the first Mayor of the Royal Borough, Christopher Aston, out of gratitude to His Royal Highness The Duke of Edinburgh for his service to the community during the first 25 years of the reign of Her Majesty Queen Elizabeth II.
The Fund was created, initially, from a small amount of money generated almost entirely from contributions arising from the various fund-raising events that took place in the Royal Borough during Her Majesty The Queen's Silver Jubilee celebrations in 1977. Since this modest beginning, the Trust Fund has benefited from a number of special fund-raising events including several car rallies, cricket matches involving the Lord's Taverners, royal gala shows at the Theatre Royal, Windsor, concerts and the annual Windsor Half Marathon. It has also received donations from Her Majesty The Queen, His Royal Highness The Duke of Edinburgh and the late Queen Mother. The trustees have been enormously grateful, also, to numerous private individuals, organisations and companies who have made contributions to the Fund.
The objects of this registered charity are:
- The provision, in the interests of social welfare, of facilities for the recreation and leisure time occupation of the inhabitants of the Royal Borough of Windsor and Maidenhead (the area of benefit) with the object of improving their conditions of life.
- The advancement of the education of young people in the area of benefit, in particular, but not exclusively, in the field of voluntary service.
- The advancement of public education in the arts, literature and science in the area of benefit.
- To or for such other charitable purposes, in the area of benefit, as the trustees shall decide.
The trustees of the Prince Philip Trust Fund meet twice a year, usually in April and November, when they consider applications for financial support to individuals and organisations with projects that meet the criteria set out in the trust's objects. Since its foundation, the trust has distributed in excess of £1m by way of grants and guarantees against loss to a large number of voluntary organisations and individuals within the Royal Borough of Windsor and Maidenhead.