2. Your recycling bin
You can recycle almost all of your everyday food and drink packaging including:
- Glass bottles and jars
- Metal food tins, drinks cans, aerosols and foil
- Plastic bottles, pots, tubs and trays
- Tetrapak food and drink cartons
However, please do not put any of these materials in your blue recycling bin:
- Plastic bags (e.g. carrier bags, plastic food bags)
- Bubble wrap
- Plastic film (e.g. cling film, plastic film on meat and fish trays)
- Crisp packets and sweet wrappers or any item of foil coated with plastic
- Shiny foil gift wrap and greeting cards with glitter
- Glass cookware (e.g. pyrex)
- Drinking glasses (e.g. wine glasses and tumblers)
- Polystyrene (e.g. pizza bases, packaging inserts)
- Dirty and stained paper and card,
- Foil coated lids (e.g. yoghurt tops),
- Foil lined food pouches (e.g. baby food, coffee pouches),
- Sandpaper - including any liners used in pet cages.
Empty and rinse
Items need to be clean - you can use the water from your washing up or pop the items in the dishwasher. Items that contain food residue are hard to recycle.
If you put the wrong items in your recycling bin, it may only be emptied when you have removed these items.