1. Our Museum Collection
Our accredited museum is part of Libraries Arts and Heritage in the Borough, and is supported by the Friends of Windsor & Royal Borough Museum, the Heritage Lottery Fund and a team of very enthusiastic volunteers.
The museum covers five themes; The Royal Borough and its settlement, military associations, aeronautical Windsor, working Windsor and childhood.
What can you discover?
- Listen to stories of people who have lived and worked here, using our audio wands.
- See a selection of the many items in our social history collection.
- Look at pre-historic tools including Bronze Age, Roman and Saxon artefacts.
- See objects and ephemera from Victorian times up to World War II, 1950s and the present day.
- Let our volunteers tell you about the history of Windsor.
- On selected days you can experience a guided tour of The Guildhall.
- This free tour includes viewing the room where HRH The Prince of Wales and The Duchess of Cornwall were married and paintings of British monarchs.
- The museum is on the ground floor with wheelchair access.
- The Guildhall is only accessible via a stair lift.
Help with project work
- The museum is open to schools and community groups on Mondays (booking essential).
- The museum store is open by email appointment.
- Local historians can help with enquiries and research.
- Discover maps, books, paintings, prints and photographs.