1. Community Infrastructure Levy
The Royal Borough of Windsor and Maidenhead approved its Community Infrastructure Levy (CIL) at a meeting of the Full Council on the 10 August 2016 with implementation on 1 September 2016. Planning permissions which first permit development on a day when the charging schedule is in effect will be liable for the levy, this will usually be on the day planning permission is granted.
CIL is a levy that local authorities can choose to charge on new development in their area. The money raised can be used to fund a wide range of infrastructure such as transport schemes, schools and open space.
CIL will not be the sole funding source for all infrastructure necessary. It will be used as the mechanism for pooling contributions further to the scaling back of the scope of Section 106 (S106) agreements (planning agreements) as of April 2015. However, planning obligations will still be used for site specific infrastructure such as local highway and junction improvements, and to provide affordable housing.
To avoid a 'double charge' for the same infrastructure works through both S106 and CIL, the council has published a list of infrastructure projects that are to be funded by cil wholly or partly) known as the CIL Regulation 123 list.
The levy is charged in pounds per square metre on the net additional increase in floorspace of liable developments.
The Council's CIL is levied for retail warehousing on the whole of the borough and on three zones for Residential:
- Maidenhead Town Centre (AAP Area)
- Maidenhead Urban
- Rest of the Borough.
Please refer to the CIL calculator to check the zone boundaries.
The following documents set out the council's CIL charging regime.
- CIL Charging Schedule - sets out the CIL rates
- CIL Regulation 123 list - lists those infrastructure types and projects to be funded wholly or partly by CIL
- CIL Instalment Policy - according to the amount of CIL payable, this sets out when payment to the council will be due
- CIL Exceptions Policy - lists the Council's approach to the exceptions available.