Disabled person

If your property is the main residence of someone who is substantially and permanently disabled, you may be able to claim a reduction on your council tax bill.  The person who is liable to pay the council tax does not have to be the person who is disabled, but the liable person must make the application. 

The property must have one of the following which is of major importance to the wellbeing of the disabled person due to his or her disability:

  • sufficient floor space to permit the use of a wheelchair, where the wheelchair needs to be used indoors by the disabled person, or
  • an extra bathroom or extra kitchen which is required for meeting the needs of the disabled person. This does not have to have been added recently - you may have purchased the property because you need an extra bathroom or kitchen, or
  • a room which is predominantly used by, and is required for meeting the needs of the disabled person. This room must not be a bathroom, kitchen or lavatory. For example, a room could be required for equipment which is needed for the disabled person, or it may be a room for therapy.

The disabled reduction will take the form of your property being charged council tax in the band below the one it is actually in. For example, if the property is in Band C, the reduction will mean council tax is charged at the Band B rate. If your property is in Band A, then any reduction given will mean the property will be charged at five sixths of the Band A charge.