Telephone system fault

Our phones lines beginning with 01628 79 are affected. We are working with our supplier to get this resolved. Please contact us via online forms or on 01628 683800. For registrars call 01628 683666.

Contact us online

2. A Simple Guide to your Rights

Whenever personal information is processed the council must comply with its obligations under the Data Protection Act.

The aim of the information below is to explain what your rights are and how you can apply to see the information we hold on you.

Why is personal information held by the council?

In order to deliver services to people in the borough we have to keep some personal information. When we do this we must comply with the Data Protection Act.

How is personal information kept and who is responsible?

We use both computer-based and paper-based filing systems for keeping personal information. Each system is the responsibility of a designated service manager who must make sure that access is properly controlled and information appropriately and lawfully used. Services must publish and maintain privacy notices which provide information about personal data processing.

Who is information shared with?

We only share information when the law permits sharing. We only share information for specific purposes. Whatever is shared is only ever the minimum required for the purpose. We may also receive information from other organisations. The same rules apply.

Do I have a right to a copy of my information?

Generally yes although there are some instances when we must seek permission from other persons before making a disclosure to you. Sometimes we will not get permission. If that happens we will tell you how to appeal.

Do I have a right to a copy of my family’s information?

Generally no unless they are your children and still under 12 years old, or you have a power of attorney. We will tell you if you cannot have it and how to appeal.

How can I apply to access my information?

There are a number of different methods:

Before we can process your request you will need to provide some proof that you are who you say you are. We will write to advise you how to do this. Once we have received your fee and check your proof of identity we may take a maximum of one calendar month to respond to you request.

I think my information is incorrect – what should I do?

Contact the Data Protection Officer.

The council will not amend, change or delete my information – what can I do?

You should contact:

The Information Commissioner
Wycliffe House
Water Lane
Tel: 01625 545700

I am not happy with the way the council uses my information – what can I do?

Firstly you should contact the council’s Data Protection Officer to ask for a review to be undertaken. If, after the review is complete, you are still unhappy you should make contact with the Information Commissioner.

The Information Commissioner will only look into your matter after you have given the council an opportunity to provide a thorough explanation or to sort things out.