Apply for or renew a blue badge
The blue badge scheme only applies if you have a permanent disability and severe mobility problems.
A blue badge will cost £10.00.
You will be eligible if:
- You are registered blind,
- You receive the higher rate of the mobility component of the Disability Living Allowance (DLA),
- You score eight points or more in the “Moving around” activity of Personal Independence Payment (PIP),
- You use a vehicle supplied for disabled people by a Government health department,
- You receive a War Pensioners' Mobility Supplement,
- You have a severe permanent and substantial disability which means you are unable to walk or have considerable difficulty walking. In this case we may ask you more questions to help us determine whether you are eligible for a badge,
- You have a severe disability in both arms, regularly drive a vehicle but cannot turn the steering wheel by hand even if that wheel is fitted with a turning knob.
Children under two years of age do not qualify for a badge because they would not normally be expected to be able to walk independently. However if oxygen is needed this will be looked at favourably.
To apply for or renew your blue badge you will need:
- Your blue badge number (if you have one),
- One passport sized photo, signed on the back,
- The name and address of your doctor,
- Copies of supporting documentation, eg, war pension mobility supplement letter, letter confirming you are in receipt of DLA,
- Agree to us contacting your Doctor for supporting information if necessary.
Please be advised that your application may take between four to six weeks to process, depending on whether further clarification is required.
The blue badge should only be displayed in a vehicle where the blue badge holder is being transported in.
It is a criminal offence to misuse a blue badge, and could lead to a £1000 fine.