School/college transport for 16 to 18 year olds without a Statement or EHCP

Great Western Railways offers a Reduced Fare Railcard for students aged 16 to 19 attending school or college (subject to the scheme continuing each year).

Please refer the to the Home to School Transport Policy for the school year you want transport to start, and the Home to School Transport Code of Conduct for further information before applying.  For further information on transport options and possible sources of support for students over 16, please see our Post 16 Transport Policy Supporting Statement.

  • Transport will only be given to the nearest school/college offering their chosen course and only if it's beyond three miles from the home address of the student,
  • You can only apply if you are a borough resident,
  • The Reduced Fare Railcard lasts for one school/college year; you will need to apply for a new card each school/college year,
  • If rail travel is not suitable you may be able to purchase a seat on a council contracted school bus; please see the Pay for Transport page for further information.

You can also check our questions and answers for helpful tips and frequently asked questions that will help answer the most common queries.

Information we will need from you:

  • Student and parent/guardian contact details,
  • School/college the student will be attending,
  • The rail stations the student needs to travel from and to,
  • Proof of the student’s age e.g. copy of their passport or birth certificate,
  • Proof of the student’s place at the school or college e.g. offer letter,
  • A passport sized photo,
  • Payment online, or
  • Low income details e.g. proof of receipt of working tax credits or receipt of Income Support - please note: we need to see entire letters showing eligibility for Working Tax Credit, not just single pages, if proof of low income is not attached to the application it will delay the assessment.