Report a problem with overhanging trees and shrubs
Trees, hedges and shrubs can grow to overhang verges, pavements and roads.
This can cause a variety of problems such as:
- obscuring visibility,
- obscuring street lights, traffic lights and signs,
- causing an obstruction or,
- presenting a hazard to pedestrians and other road users.
We are responsible for maintaining vegetation on the public highway, in parks and on our own properties. However, it is the owner or occupier’s responsibility to maintain vegetation to the boundary of their property and to ensure that it does not overhang the highway.
Highways England is responsible for maintaining motorways and trunk roads, please contact Highways England if the problem is on one of these roads:
The responsibility for maintenance of private roads and private streets lies with the road owners or residents.
To report a problem with overhanging vegetation, you will need to tell us:
- The location of the problem,
- The nature of the problem,
- Any other relevant information,
- Your contact details if you want to be updated on progress,
- Upload a photo if you have one.
This form should only be used to report minor issues. If you need to report an emergency situation, please call our contact centre.