1. If you discover flytipped waste
The flytipping of controlled waste is a serious criminal offence which carries a fine of up to £50,000 or prison sentence. It is important to realise that it is also an offence to permit flytipping.
If you discover flytipped waste, please follow these tips:
- do not touch the waste: flytipped waste can be dangerous - it may contain syringes, broken glass, asbestos, toxic chemicals or other hazardous substances.
- look at the waste: try to determine what the waste consists of and how much there is.
- take note of its exact location: and also, whether it is in or near water.
- do not disturb the site: there may be evidence that could help identify the culprits and lead to their prosecution.
- if you can, take a photo, which you can upload with the online report form.