Apply for housing
We can only offer accommodation to a few people each year as a very limited number of properties in the social housing sector become available each year. The housing options service aims to prevent any household from becoming homeless in the first instance, if this is not successful, it will assist households to find alternative short term solutions, such as staying with family members and support to extend existing private sector tenancies.
We have an Allocations Policy* which sets out eligibility and prioritisation of properties. There are a range of requirements to be eligible for qualification, starting with the requirement for a local connection, shown through continuous residency or full time employment within the borough for two years prior to application.
Eligible applicants are placed in bands according to our Housing Need system, which enables us to prioritise available accommodation and assess need in terms of property size according to agreed principles.
To apply for housing you must complete the application form in full.
- You will be asked to provide additional documentation as evidence (such as identification, tenancy agreements, proof of income, etc.) - we will accept scanned or photographed documents.
- You may be asked to provide original documentation on request.
- Applications for shared ownership or key worker accommodation can be made using the same form.
- You may find it useful to read our housing application guidance before completing your form.
An officer will review your application and will respond within 14 working days.
* We are waiting updated guidance from the Ministry of Housing, Communities & Local Government, which advises on best practice. Our Allocations Policy, which is due for review this year, will draw on best practice. Further details will follow, however, our aspiration is to have a new allocation policy in place in Autumn 2018.