Planning application submitted for York Road

Published: Wednesday, 30th May 2018

York Road

Following an extensive public consultation event development partners Countryside and the Royal Borough of Windsor & Maidenhead have submitted proposals to redevelop the York Road.

The project seeks to create a mixed-use development including 229 homes, on the banks of the Maidenhead Waterways.

These plans are part of a wider plan to regenerate York Road in Maidenhead and will bring new homes, commercial units and a community space into the town centre. The rejuvenation of York Road, the area to the south of the High Street, includes over a £1m investment to enhance and improve existing buildings and public realm, uniting areas of the town south of the library and creating new pedestrian-friendly and cycle connections from York Road to the Nicholsons Centre.

The scheme brings 229 homes to the town of which 30% (68 homes) will be affordable homes - a mix of shared ownership, affordable rent (rent set at local housing allowance levels) and social rent. The council is also delivering a further 8% (20 homes) affordable homes on site by way of a public subsidy, providing a total of 38% affordable (88 homes). Alongside the homes will be 20,000 sq ft of commercial space for food and beverage outlets, a new home for Maidenhead Heritage Centre and a community space to relax by the water or host public events.

The detailed design reflects the local community’s comments that Countryside, the Royal Borough of Windsor & Maidenhead and Conran Architects, have been securing since early 2017. 

A planning decision is expected in the early autumn, and if approved, it is expected that building works will start on site in spring 2019 with the first homes completed in Autumn 2020.

Malcolm Wood, Project Director at Countryside, said: “We were encouraged with the response and co-operation of the local community and stakeholders during our consultation process, and we believe our plans and vision for York Road will transform the area, providing much-needed quality new homes, and creating a place where people choose to live, work and visit.

“The focus of the new scheme will be on creating a vibrant area alongside the rejuvenated Maidenhead Waterways and a space that links well with the town centre and surrounding area.  The new homes are designed with attractive frontages and the public areas will provide well-defined spaces for the local community to enjoy.” 

Cllr Simon Dudley, leader of the Royal Borough of Windsor & Maidenhead, added: “The regeneration of York Road represents a major part of the wider regeneration plans. It is an excellent opportunity to create a new neighbourhood with a mixture of homes in the town centre. I am delighted the council is able to deliver an additional 20 affordable homes for shared ownership on this site meaning a total of 88 new affordable homes (38%) will be created in the heart of Maidenhead to give residents struggling to get onto the housing ladder a place to call home. 

“This is the first project within our wider regeneration plans on council-owned land which will bring more than 4,000 homes to the borough including 30% affordable. The remaining properties for sale in this development will also be made exclusively available to those with a connection to the borough for the first six weeks they are on the market.”

York Road is conveniently located, just a short walk from the town centre, train station, a range of good quality food and retail outlets. The library sits next door which offers a range of council services to our residents.

More articles in the news archive